There are so many things that happen to women’s bodies during pregnancy, labour and delivery, and postpartum that we don’t talk about despite women experiencing these things regularly.
In episode 9 of the herBody Podcast, physiotherapist Larissa Tutert joins Micaela again to share her pelvic health expertise for women who have had children, are pregnant, or are thinking about having children.
If you missed part 1 of this series on pelvic health for female athletes with Larissa, you can go back and listen to episode 6 here!
SPORTS AND ACTIVITY AFTER HAVING CHILDREN WITH PHYSIOTHERAPIST LARISSA TUTERT
Larissa Tutert, Physiotherapist completed a Master of Science in Physical Therapy at the University of Toronto. She has extensive training and certifications in the areas of male and female Pelvic Health, Orthopaedic Manual Therapy, Medical Acupuncture and Neurofunctional Sports Performance.
As an invited speaker, she has addressed the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of Mount Sinai Hospital and the Maternal Child Nurses’ Interest Group of the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario. Larissa has also been asked to develop workshops and provide talks for a variety of health and wellness communities. She is currently the creator and instructor of the Pelvic Floor Health Workshops offered through the Prenatal Education Department at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Larissa provides physiotherapy care at the Dovigi Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Clinic, a multidisciplinary centre within Mount Sinai Hospital. Over the years, she has provided sports medical coverage for events such as Skate Canada, Toronto Marathon and Canada Cup Squash. Larissa also held the position of Physiotherapist for dancers of Canada’s National Ballet School.
Here’s what you’ll learn in episode 9 of the herBody Podcast:
- Recap on what pelvic health physiotherapy is (listen to episode 6 for the full breakdown!)
- How female athletes can prepare for labour and delivery
- The importance of pelvic floor training during pregnancy
- Breathing techniques
- Addressing fears around female athletes having children and empowering them in their health
- How to advocate for yourself
- Returning to sport and fitness postpartum
- The difference between medical clearance and functional clearance
- The importance of pelvic health physiotherapy, even after a c-section
- Common postpartum issues in female athletes, signs to look for, and how to rehab properly
- Sexual function after birth
- Letting go of the shame around what happens to your body during and after pregnancy, labour, and delivery