Breathing is simple, right? But what if we told you that the way we breathe has an effect on our performance, injuries, and our overall health AND it can still be simple with practice of the piston breath!
Cue today’s episode!
THE PISTON BREATH
When we talk about your core, you probably think of your abs, but there is SO much more to your core than a six pack and planking—meet the piston breath!
In Episode 4 of the herBody Podcast, Micaela shares what the piston breath is, how to do it, and the incredible effects it can have on your body, especially as a female athlete (remember, athlete means anyone who moves her body in a way that feels right for her!).
Here’s what you’ll learn in Episode 4 of the herBody Podcast:
- What the piston breath is and how it allows you to connect with your core
- Why all female athletes should learn the piston breath
- What the piston breath does for us as athletes and women
- Your core beyond abs
- The anticipatory core = a group of muscles that prepare you for movement
- Your diaphragm, the transverse abdominal muscles, and pelvic floor
- How the way we breathe can be connected to new pain and injuries that pop up and come out of “no where”
- How the piston breath helps us navigate and understand what’s right for our bodies throughout our movement journeys and life
- How the piston breath helps with the parasympathetic nervous system
- Rest, digest, relaxation, and recovery
- A breathing exercise to help you connect to your core