Jesse Porter’s coaching philosophy is to find the fun, and that’s exactly what we did in this podcast episode!
When she was a kid, Jesse took part in various sports and also watched her mom take up hockey just for fun. Now, as the head coach of the University of Toronto women’s lacrosse team and former coach for the Chinese national women’s lacrosse team (who she took to the World Cup in 2017!), Jesse’s passion for ensuring athletes never lose the fun of their sport and are coached as people first, no matter what level they play at, is evident.
Jesse’s also putting her knowledge and passion to good use as the co-founder of How We Sport, a platform that helps to reshape sport culture to support all athletes. She’s also started her own development community for female coaches called Dare to Try. The coaching world and sports world as a whole is in good hands with Jesse Porter paving the way.
TALKING COACHING, WOMEN IN SPORTS, AND MORE WITH JESSE PORTER
In episode 14 of the her Soul Shot Podcast, Jesse Porter shares stories and insights from her experiences travelling the world and coaching lacrosse. Her perspective on coaching, getting and keeping girls and women in sports, and staying active will make you yell “YES, GIRL!” on multiple occasions.
We cover the following (and more!) in this week’s episode:
- The differences in sport in Canada and China
- How the pandemic helped her launch How We Sport and Dare to Try
- How to coach athletes as people first
- How men and women are coached differently and why they shouldn’t be
- Why we should move away from viewing coaches as the experts
- Advice for women to get into coaching
- Taking the emphasis off athletes to only play at the highest level so they simply enjoy sports
- How to get and keep more girls in sports
- Advice to young female athletes in all routes of sports
- Why exercise shouldn’t be used as a punishment
- How and why you should stay active throughout life
Whether you’re a coach, athlete, parent, fan, or any other position in sports, you’ll gain a wealth of knowledge from listening to Jesse’s experiences and wisdom in this incredible episode!