Laura Cappelli is proof of just how much sports can change your life.
Prior to 2013, Laura wasn’t a fan of sports, public speaking, or being a leader—until she found her home in hockey.
In episode 15 of the her Soul Shot Podcast, Laura Cappelli shares how she discovered hockey and immediately started learning the game so she could not only play, but coach. She went from showing up to attend her first hockey game in ballet flats and a cardigan to trading them in for skates, a whistle, confidence, leadership skills, and a dream of working in the NHL one day.
DISCOVERING AND FOLLOWING YOUR SPORTS DREAMS WITH LAURA CAPPELLI
Laura is proof that sports have a greater impact on our lives than we even know and she’s sharing her story to encourage others to follow their dreams (even if currently undiscovered).
We chat about these things (and more!):
- How going to a Chicago Blackhawks game changed her life
- Learning to play hockey
- What she’s learned about herself through coaching
- What drew her to the goal of coaching over playing
- How to stay motivated, even in the face of discrimination
- How sports organizations can get more women in the game by changing the hiring process and taking the focus away from only people who played the game growing up
- How you know the right path for you
- Why we need to focus on accomplishments over celebrating a woman being hired
- What to say to people who doubt your dreams
- How to be a role model and change the lives of others through sports