We know training and nutrition are important to helping us perform better but we don’t always know how to fuel our bodies properly, especially as we age, enter different stages of our lives, and have different activity levels.
Instil Physio’s Micaela Zettel hosts the amazing Dr. Kirstin Lauritzen in episode 3 of the herBody Podcast to help you understand and implement the best ways to fuel your body (no matter your activity level)—she even breaks it down into different age groups for us!
MEET DR. KIRSTIN LAURITZEN
Dr. Kirstin Lauritzen is a Functional Medicine Practitioner in Oregon. Her doctorate is in Chiropractic and she holds a Masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine. Dr K specializes in working with athletes to prevent nutrient deficiencies so that they can optimize their performance, longevity in their sport, reduce risk of injury and promote a healthy body! Dr K encourages her athletes and patients to understand how each system functions both individually and together. She stresses that we need to look for the cause behind symptoms, unhelpful thoughts, or routines that don’t serve us because then we find the why and that’s where new habits and change really begins. She is a Triathlete and is currently training for the Coure D’Alene Ironman!
Here’s what you’ll learn in episode 3 of the herBody Podcast:
- How Dr K’s own health issues led her to her career in functional medicine
- Understanding that what works for one person might not work for you. Try it but don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work.
- Protein and carbohydrates intake and how this will change at different stages of your life
- The importance of eating the rainbow
- Fueling Youth Athletes (5-13 years old)
- How to fuel for growth
- Talking to girls about how their bodies will change with their cycle
- Fueling teens to pre-menopause (14-45 years old)
- How to train and fuel around your cycle for optimal performance and health
- How to fuel during workouts of any length
- How to work with your body
- Fueling in menopause (50+ years old)
- What changes are happening in your body and how to fuel properly for training and staying active
- The importance of strength training and eating enough protein
- Understanding supplements, what you need and how to get them