Your menstrual cycle is a marker of your health and if you don’t fully understand it, it’s difficult to know what is and isn’t normal. Usually, when we talk about the menstrual cycle, we think of our periods, but this is only one phase of your menstrual cycle.
Have you ever worked out or played a game and felt like you were running on an empty tank despite doing everything you usually do?
Have you ever gotten surges of energy and hit personal bests but couldn’t do it a couple of weeks later?
Have you experienced unexplained injuries or had nagging pain that just wouldn’t go away?
Have you stopped getting your period for any length of time (without being pregnant)?
Do you experience PMS symptoms?
This episode is a must-listen if you answered “yes” to any of the above.
THE MENSTRUAL CYCLE FOR ATHLETE HEALTH & PERFORMANCE
It’s important to understand what’s happening in your body and that’s why on this episode of the herBody Podcast, Micaela breaks down the menstrual cycle so girls and women in sports are educated and empowered to understand and align with their menstrual cycle, no matter what level of athlete you are!
Here’s what you’ll learn in Episode 5 of the herBody Podcast:
- What is the menstrual cycle and how is it a marker of your health?
- The roles estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone play
- The 4 phases and aligning changes in hormones and what that means for you as an athlete
- Menstruation, the follicular phase, ovulation, and the luteal phase
- The link to inflammation in different phases and what that means for training
- A normal cycle vs signs of dysfunction that are red flags
- Many issues we experience and hear about are common but not normal
- What is PMS and what’s normal/abnormal
- Fitr Woman app to track your cycle
- How to train appropriately and perform your best during each phase of your menstrual cycle
- Why recovery is impaired at certain points in your cycle and why it’s important to understand how to better support your recovery when training/being active during these times
- How to be intentional with your fuelling and recovery
- How to work with your team and health care providers to best support your training and performance based on your menstrual cycle
- How to understand and train effectively without a team
Learn more about tracking your menstrual cycle on Instil Physio: CLICK HERE