It’s no secret that girls face more barriers in sports than boys. Unfortunately, COVID has amplified and escalated these barriers to sport for girls and we need to do something about it.
In episode 10 of the herBody Podcast, Micaela breaks down the research in Canadian Women & Sport’s Pandemic Impact on Girls in Sport report, explores what it means for girls in sport and beyond, and how we can all take action as parents, coaches, athletes, healthcare professionals and supporters of girls in sport.
You can read the full Pandemic Impact on Girls in Sport report from Canadian Women & Sport here:
COVID’S IMPACT ON GIRLS SPORTS AND HOW YOU CAN HELP
We have the opportunity now to look at: What do girls need in their programming, in their clubs, in their recreational sports for return to sport? Not necessarily what has always been done, but what do girls need?– Micaela Zettel
Here’s what you’ll learn in episode 9 of the herBody Podcast:
- A breakdown of the Canadian Women & Sport Pandemic Impact on Girls in Sport report
- Why the statistics of girls not returning to sport is alarming and the impact it has for girls beyond sport
- The 5 existing barriers for girls in sport that have been impacted by Covid
- Access to facilities and programs
- The quality of programs
- Alternatives to sport
- The cost to participate
- How we can actively work to change this as parents, coaches, sport organizations, health care professionals and more
- How She Moves can address and positively change many of these barriers and issues